[Noisebridge-discuss] Max/MSP workshop

Sam Tarakajian starakajian at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 18:35:44 UTC 2013

Hi all,

This is my first time posting to the noisebridge discuss mailing list. It
feels good, like the first bite of a really tasty sandwich.

Anyway, I was at a class on frontend web development yesterday and I really
enjoyed it, so much so that I was inspired to offer a workshop of my own. I
don't know much about web programming but I am a developer for Max/MSP, the
visual programming environment for music and multimedia.

If there's any interest I'd be more than happy to offer a workshop series
on the basics of Max. Or, if people would rather work with PureData, the
open source alternative to Max, I could handle that too. What exactly I
would talk about depends on interest, but covered topics could include
processing live audio and video, working with sensor data, working with
Arduino, working with the new code export and code generation features in
Max 6, or just about anything else.

Classes would probably be about an hour to an hour and a half long. You
would definitely need to bring your own computer. Since the range of stuff
you can do with Max is so broad, I also think it would be fun to do a lab,
where you can bring in whatever project you're working on and I can try to
help you work out the kinks.

If you'd like to get a feel for the kind of stuff I've taught in the past,
you can check out my youtube Max tutorials at
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD45EDA6F67827497

The official Max website:
www.cycling74.com

Thanks for reading and for being awesome,
-Sam