[Noisebridge-discuss] Walkthroughs of Noisebridge by anyone, with a status update form

Liz Henry liz at bookmaniac.org
Wed Jan 16 04:04:15 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I'd like to see what we learn and what will happen if we try using a
checklist of things that we would all like to take care of at
Noisebridge.  My idea is that there can be a web form, useable from a
computer or phone, that anyone can fill out at any time.

There can also be a printed form, which anyone in the space can fill out
by hand, fold up, and put into the donation box or some other collection
point.  (I put date and time on the form rather than using a timestamp,
so we can add in these paper updates.)

Here is a first try at a status update "walkthrough":

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFFNN011TDU5cF9LemZuT1NnNDN6enc6MQ

Here's a page on the wiki to link to it and its results:
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Status

We can improve this in various ways. I'd like to see specific tools and
machines added to it, and ways to check them, for example!

The results are public. Try to be excellent in your reporting. Let's
not use this as a way to call out individuals or be rude to anyone.

I am curious to see if anyone will use this as a way to check up on
Noisebridge's overall "health", a sort of situation report, and maybe as
a way to contribute by fixing little things along the way.

This is my response to Martin's "steal this stuff" test and Jim's recent
reports on stuff that is missing in the workshop.  I also just bought
some screwdrivers to Noisebridge and I am restocking the Circuit Hacking
Monday/soldering supplies.  While I do think we have a surge in theft
lately, I also think some tool attrition is normal (and not horrible or
disheartening) in a large public space. I do believe we can Have Nice
Things. And we definitely, despite whatever isn't perfect, have nice
people, great people in fact, and many many cool projects, skill shares,
and classes. I love our community.

- Liz

--

Liz Henry
liz at bookmaniac.org
http://bookmaniac.org

"Without models, it's hard to work; without a context, difficult to
evaluate; without peers, nearly impossible to speak." -- Joanna Russ