[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Access : What is our policy? What should it be?

Martin Bogomolni martinbogo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 19:15:50 UTC 2013

This thread was "A test of Excellence", responses inline.

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:28 PM, jim <jim at systemateka.com> wrote:

>     I like that the space is open to everyone. I like
> that the people are willing to accept anyone.
>
>     To some degree, theft can be addressed by not having
> desirable and easily stealable equipment.

This _utterly_ defeats the purpose of Noisebridge as a hackerspace.

If we can't have good tools, equipment, computers, and things around..
what's the point?

> Lean toward
> hand tools rather than motor-driven hand tools.

Sure, lets go back to the stone age.  I'll go get some rocks, and tie
them to some sticks.

Seriously, Jim, Noisebridge is a place where people use advanced
tools, and things like mutimeters, digital signal generators, sewing
machines, laptop computers, 3D printers.

>     Think of the space as a bus station.

Not just "no" ...  My response to this is "not while I breathe."

If we wanted to have NoiseBridge be like a bus station, we would have
set it up in a park somewhere, or use places like community centers
and have a 'virtual' hackerspace where we just bring our expertise to
meetups

The thing is, we're not a bus station.  We're a workshop, a
collaborative classroom space, and we want to have a safe, secure, and
friendly environment where people can work on projects, hack on
things, and learn.