[Noisebridge-discuss] CORRECTION: Kickoff event for Taipei, Taiwan Hackerspace‏

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 31 01:11:50 UTC 2013

I got the date wrong on my 1st post
 -- the correct date is:
Friday night, 1-Februrary, 6:30pm
(which is 10:30am Saturday, in Taipei).

===========================

To celebrate the opening of the new Taipei, Taiwan hackerspace, the people there are having an international kickoff event. People will be gathering at their hackerspace, and people around the world will be joining in over the internet.

I'll be at Noisebridge to give an opening talk, and to give a tour of Noisebridge.

If anyone wants to join us, please stop by Noisebridge at
6:30pm
Friday 1-February.

Mitch.

Here is their announcement from their Google+:

First Hackerspace event - (and accidentally Groundhog Day too)

The purpose of this event is to get people interested in joining the first ever hackerspace in Taipei. We will be gauging interest in the hackerspace to help us select a large enough space that we can afford to open. This will also be a chance for the organizers to meet people that can help us find the perfect space. Our goal is to have the space ready for a Hack the Hackerspace event by the time Maker Faire Taiwan arrives in May.

Schedule
======
6:00pm (10:00am Taipei time): Doors open
6:30pm - 6:50pm Speaker: Mitch Altman - The Philosophy of Hackerspaces
6:50pm - 7:10pm Speaker: Ben Heck - 3D Printing and Hardware Modding
7:10pm - 7:30pm Speaker: Eric Stein - Creativity in the Hackerspaces
7:30pm - 8:00pm Speaker: Open floor - Hackerspace members answer questions
8:00pm - 12:00am Learning stations open
4:00am (16:00pm Taipei time): Doors close

Format
=====
Google+ Hangouts
The will be a main G+ Hangout that hackerspaces from around the world can join as a group. This will be displayed on the main screens at the event as well as smaller screen throughout the event. Local people will be able to interact with the members of the hackerspaces. This hangout will also be broadcast On Air.

Learning Stations
Each of the 4 learning stations will have a public G+ Hangout so anyone can join in to learn or teach. Each station will cover one topic that can be completed in about 30 minutes. Each station will have room for 4-6 local participants. The topics will be "Learning to Solder", "Getting started with Arduino", "Clothes Hacking", and an open topic for the last station.

Introductions
----------------

The Speakers
========

Mitch Altman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Altman
mitch at cornfieldelectronics.com(PUBLIC)
A co-founder of Noisebridge, a hackerspace in San Francisco, and a pioneer of Virtual reality. Mitch has been featured many time is Make: and many other magazines.

Benjamin Heckendorn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Heckendorn
benjamin.heckendorn at gmail.com(PUBLIC)
Console modder, internet celebrity, pinball enthusiast and designer, host of the Ben Heck Show. There are so many publications about Ben, I can't even begin to count (Although Google say 3.9M hits!)

Eric Stein
Programmer extraordinaire and insatiable hacker. Eric discovered the hackerspace PumpingStationOne when he was transplanted to Chicago. He immediately took an active role in the community and is now president of the space.

The Organizers
==========

Gergely (Greg) Imreh
imrehg at gmail.com
Ex-pat living in Taiwan and founder of Taipei Hackerspace. He has been driving the online presence of the group.

Tom Haynes
TaipeiHackerspace at tomhaynes.net(PUBLIC)
Recently relocated to Taipei from San Francisco. After discovering Gergely through hackerspaces.org, they joined forces to found the physical space for Taipei Hackerspace.

The Media
======

Brian Song
Make: Magazine Taiwan

Amber Yan
Editor with Make: Magazine Taiwan

Caroline Hsu
Head of Google Communications, Taiwan

Lan Chang
Google Public Affairs Senior Associate, Taiwan and Hong Kong

Location
=====
Google Taiwan office, Taipei 101, Floor 73
Meeting at Taipei 101 Ground Floor
(and the internet)