[Noisebridge-discuss] This Weekend Instrument-Making Workshops

T.bias™ me at tbias.com
Fri Jan 11 07:21:44 UTC 2013

I'd first take the synth "out of the loop" by just using a soft synth (only
need a laptop, DAW, and MIDI interface; if you don't I'm sure someone else
does, but seeing as you mentioned Ableton Live, it sounds like you are
already there) to focus on your hardware and conversion to MIDI. Actually,
I'd also negate the MIDI conversion as well, depending on how you are doing
things…

I bet you can get old drum MIDI triggers on Ebay rather cheap, but getting
pitch awareness in there is just a bit harder. (I.e., It's *really* easy to
take a gated sound and convert it into an "on/off" MIDI note that is
preselected; hell, just buy an old DM4 that Alesis used to make and you are
there.)

Or…Just get a plugin for your DAW that does pitch to MIDI. I think Pluggo
has that in there and many DAWs come with something like that in the
utilities department right out of the box.

I get the feeling that you want to end up with a standalone instrument, but
I figure you can use the ease of plugins to let you focus on one thing at a
time; I suspect the hardest will be your hardware, not so much the
conversion to MIDI nor taking that MIDI and plugging it into the device of
your choice. ;-)

Sadly, what *I* want to make is mostly an aesthetic hack that costs money
as I need a full wireless mic set up that is very robust, performance
"proof", and doesn't neglect audio quality; sadly, good wireless mic setups
ain't cheap. (Hell, my IEM [In Ear Monitor] receiver rig was $1,200–not
counting the $800 molded ear buds…OUCH–and I'm not even sure it will still
work in the current frequency onslaught.) So I doubt I'll be heading out
for circuit bending or analog instrument banging…
--
T.bias™

Eclectic media production.
www.TobiasTenney.com