[Noisebridge-discuss] curtains/RFID

Dean Mao dean.mao at hackerdojo.com
Wed Jan 16 23:12:47 UTC 2013

That reminds me of an interesting idea -- what if the rfid detection caused
the cameras to be enabled?  Then it would solve the issue of people dislike
being recorded -- the cameras would only be enabled if the rfid sensor
finds a tag, ie someone is potentially stealing something.  One could also
then protect their own valuables by putting a temporary rfid badge on their
laptop when they're in NB, and removing it before they leave.  We could
engineer a sensor with around 5 ft range or so...  chris paget from one of
the previous defcon sessions talked about long range rfid sensors.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM, johny radio <johnyradio at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's curtains (couldn't resist).
>
>  On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Jake <jake at spaz.org  <
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Some anti-camera people said that they would be okay with a camera at
>>> the door if there were a physical curtain hanging in front of it unless a
>>> rope were pulled by the person waiting outside the door, so that they could
>>> make themselves visible to the person inside at the door-open button.
>>>

> i think a curtain might get ripped, stolen, blown by the wind, etc.
> Instead of a curtain, how about a little sliding, spring-loaded hardware
> barrier mounted close to the camera?
>
> (imho, if you're going to enter the space, then you're going to be seen
> in-person by the person who sees you on-camera, so i don't see the
> difference-- except that a camera feed can be recorded. But Noisebridge
> does not record the cam, right? Oh, but also cameras steal your soul, so
> there's that.)
>
> Has Noisebridge considered a verbal password for visitors who don't have a
> key or passcode?
>
> Re RFID tags-- could they be epoxied or cemented to tools, to prevent
> removal or destruction?

Dean Mao
dean.mao at hackerdojo.com
Come visit us, we love new people!