[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge-discuss Digest, Vol 63, Issue 17

Scotty Allen scotty at scottyallen.com
Fri Jan 18 01:14:30 UTC 2013

I wonder if one of the issues here revolves around the fact that
there's a doorbell buzzer, and that the buzzer is annoying.  From what
I've seen anecdotally in the space (I like in Palo Alto so I'm not
able to come as much as I'd like), buzzing someone in is as much or
more of "dear god, please make that horrid noise stop" as it is a real
desire to make sure the right people are able to get into the space.

I guess what I'm saying is that if it was easier to ignore the door
buzzer, particularly when there was a good reason to ignore it, maybe
that would decrease the impulse to buzz in anyone and everyone without
putting at least some level of though to it.

Maybe this means the doorbell needs to sound less irritating, or that
maybe it shouldn't make a sound at all, and light up a light instead.
The fact that someone downstairs can effectively auditorily DoS the
entire space at will seems like a design flaw:)

-Scotty