[Noisebridge-discuss] light show volunteer?

Garrett Mace garrettmace at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 20:38:20 UTC 2013

On Jan 21, 2013, at 9:25 AM, jim <jim at well.com> wrote:

>    Have you got a web site or some description of
> what you're making? Got an interest in teaching
> people not only the basics of LEDs but new
> developments such as "LED engines"?

Yes, most of it is here: http://macetech.com/

Most recent project with WS2811 strips and a couple hours on New Years with some hot glue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGoYTl2KF4c

Probably check out the blog first, rather than the store...I'm not really interested in selling to the space, instead putting together some interesting ambient stuff or whatever other ideas seem cool.

I could teach LED basics, but how basic are you suggesting? I would not want to spend a lot of time teaching easily Googled information.

Example 1: Choose a resistor to run a red 2.2V LED at 20mA from a 5V power source. Easily googled or simple application of Ohm's Law. I would not want to talk about this for an hour.

Example 2: Choose resistors and constant current sinks to drive a mixture of red, green, blue, and yellow 150mA LED clusters from a 24V supply. Not as easily googled, there's some design work involved.

LED engines is sort of a buzz word applied to too many things right now, but I think of it as architectural lighting modules. The idea is that you just hook them up to standard AC and they work, so I don't pay much attention to that. Of course some people call any integrated LED module an LED engine, and there are a lot of new LED pixels coming out in recent months. They're good enough that I'm not sad they're making some of my products obsolete ;)