[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: [BerkTIPGlobal] Sat July 20 - Radio Day @KRE Berkeley

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Sat Jul 20 05:48:32 UTC 2013

If you love radio, please save this date: Saturday, July 20th. This is
the annual event that brings the Broadcast Legends together with the
California Historical Radio Society and its’ Bay Area Radio Museum and
Bay Area Radio Hall Of Fame for a full day of radio fun.

http://www.californiahistoricalradio.com/live-at-kre-2013-radio-day-by-the-bay/

We gather at the historic KRE radio station building at the foot of
Ashby Avenue in Berkeley, home of the CHRS Radio Museum and Bay Area
radio Hall of Fame. The gates open at 9 AM with vintage 78s played from
our 1950s radio control room.

The show starts at 10 AM. Again this year, our Master of Ceremonies will
be the very popular Morning News Man, KCBS – AM’s Stan Bunger. We begin
with our live auction of vintage radios, ham gear, test equipment and
other classic electronics. The auction will be divided into 3 sections.
This year our Special Guest auctioneer will be former KFOG News Director
and current KGO – AM’s Evening News Man, Peter Finch.

Are you ready for a live radio show? Well, The Broadcast Legends Old
Time Radio Players will present, “The Lone Ranger’s Origin.” This
program originally aired on June 30th, 1948. Don’t miss this
presentation as we learn how the legend of the Lone Ranger began. And as
always the Legends will present a newscast from past, which let’s us see
how good, or bad, we have it today.

If you enjoy vintage live jazz music, we have that too. We will proudly
present the Joyful Noise Jazz Band. They specialize in jazz music of the
1920s, ‘30s, and 1940s jazz in the style of Lu Watters. Lu Watters was
very a popular jazz musician who played and recorded at KRE in the ‘40s.

Radio celebrities will be interviewed for CHRS’ Living History Series by
KGO-TV News anchor, Cheryl Jennings. Cheryl will be speaking with newly
retired Stan Burford, BARHOF Class of 2012, Ben Fong-Torres, BARHOF
Class of 2010, Rosie Allen & Terry McGovern, BARHOF Class of 2008.
Interviews will be conducted in our vintage radio control room and can
be viewed live in our upstairs conference room.

Ben Fong-Torres will announce the inductees for the 2013 Class of the
Bay Area Radio Hall Of Fame.

We will have the Jive 95 KSAN Reunion – Scoop Nisker, Bonnie Simmons,
Terry McGovern, Ben Fong-Torres, Richard Gossett, Kenny Wardell and Jim
Draper will get together to reminisce about the good old days at Jive 95
KSAN. They will also sign copies of the very groovy KSAN’s LIVE JIVE CD.
What you’ll hear on LIVE JIVE #1 is historic musical rarities from the
late 1960‘s and 1970‘s by some of the most important musical artists of
a generation, as heard on the definitive free-form FM rock station:
Santana, The Grateful Dead, Doobie Brothers, Jesse Colin Young and many
more. You can buy your copy at Radio Day. Proceeds from LIVE JIVE will
go to the Haight Ashbury Free Clinics.

If that’s not enough, we will have a salute to the 40th anniversary of
American Graffiti, featuring Terry McGovern and cars used in the movie.
In 1972 George Lucas used the KRE building to film the Richard Dreyfuss
and Wolfman Jack scenes for the movie, which was released in 1973. Watch
the scenes filmed at KRE on vintage 30” DuMont Royal Sovereign
television set.

But wait… there’s more! We offer a great barbeque lunch, beverages and
the CHRS bake sale. Announcement of the 2013 CHRS Volunteer of the Year.
A big hit is our Antique Electronics Flea Market. We have tours of the
CHRS Museum and Radio Hall of Fame. Discover Amateur Radio with W6CF,
the Jim Maxwell station. Our raffle will have some great prizes. And
look for some special surprises throughout the day.

This whole day devoted to all things radio is just a $5 donation at the
gate. Children under 12, free. For the auction catalog, please click
here.

Event Contact: Steve Kushman, (415) 821-7671. Email –
info at californiahistoricalradio.com

Basic Schedule:

09:00 – Gate Opens – 78s from the control room 10:00 – Welcome
Announcements – Silent Mikes & Keys – Sheila Rene Archives – Auction
Seg. 1 10:15 – *Ben Fong-Torres interview w/ Cheryl Jennings 11:15 –
Stan Bunger w/ Terry McGovern, “American Graffiti” 11:20 – Announcement
of Bay Area Radio Hall of Fame Class of 2013 11:25 – 1948 News & “The
Origin of the Lone Ranger” – The Broadcast Legends 11:55 – Auction Seg.
2 12:01 – *Terry McGovern interview w/Cheryl 12:45 – *Rosie Allen
interview w/ Cheryl 12:55 – Jive 95 Reunion – Nisker, Simmons, Gossett,
Fong-Toores, McGovern, Wardell, Draper 1:05 – Joyful Noise Jazz band
1:30 – *Stan Burford interview w/ Cheryl 1:50 – Volunteer of the Year –
Auction Seg. 3 3:00 – Good Bye! * These events held inside the building

---  Join the BerkeleyTIP-Global mail list -   http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal. All Freedom SW, HW & Culture.