[Noisebridge-discuss] decent stable email service - non corporate based

Peter Kaminski kaminski at istori.com
Tue Jul 2 03:53:45 UTC 2013

Hi Frantisek,

> FIRST - is there some decent and stable open source community
> supported email service which I could use instead?

This is not quite what you asked for, but it may be just what you want:
http://www.tuffmail.com/

It's a small business, very stable and professional IMAP provider, with
hardcore administration capability.  I've been using them for my
personal email for *long* time, maybe a decade.  Here's a good review
which matches my experience:

http://www.ianbell.com/2009/05/23/tuffmail-still-the-best-imap-service-provider-i-can-find/

Rock-solid uptime and availability, they're really amazing.

As Alex mentioned, another one is fastmail.fm, but I've not used them.
I get the sense they're a little bigger and more popular than Tuffmail,
and maybe a little easier to use.

To copy email IMAP-to-IMAP, I use larch
<https://github.com/rgrove/larch/>, but if you want a service, people
say good things about YippieMove.

Running your own email server is fun, but it's not fun keeping up with
the spam blacklists.  It's worth using something like Tuffmail or Gmail
to do spam filtering in front of your email server, if you go that way.

Pete