[Noisebridge-discuss] [sudo-discuss] Announcement - RockIT CoLabs

Marc Juul marcjc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 05:31:08 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM, J.C. <r33lmm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Darren Overby <darren at rockitcolabs.com>wrote:
>
>> Excuse the interruption Noisebridge fans,
>>
>> In the interest of possible cross-pollination, I wanted to let you know
>> about a new place to hack - RocSounds like a crap attempt at kIT CoLabs<http://www.rockitcolabs.com/noisebridge-invite>.

Co-working? yes

Makerspace? yah

Tech startups? check

$200 monthly dues? yep

For profit? nothing stated to the contrary. seems likely.

Hierarchical organizational structure? assumed guilty until proven innocent

Attempt to make their business venture more successful by luring in hackers
from local non-profits? sounds like it

"People frequently ask me how I came to be such an unconventional thinker
and unusual serial entrepreneur. ... " -- Darren Overby

By being unusually modest? No? Oh, wait, is the answer: By co-opting
existing open communities into for-profit organizations?

If this is actually a non-hierarchical non-profit, then color me
embarrassed.

Someone please let me know that I'm wrong. Please.

--
Marc