[Noisebridge-discuss] Announcement - RockIT CoLabs

Dayton Grant daytongrant68 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 20:00:29 UTC 2013

hmmm, dunno 'bout that....

There's also an AWESOME AWESOME hackerspace in Mountain View, Hacker Dojo.
http://www.hackerdojo.com/
WHO DOESN'T know about Hacker Dojo, eh!!??

Membership at HD is at that same $100/mo. and that INCLUDES INCLUDES
evening memberships+more
http://www.hackerdojo.com/Membership
IMNSHO, for another non-free hacker-type space, HD sure leaves this
Rockit CoSlab IN THE DUST!!
Probably not so much against noisebridge though....
+1 Marc Juul

The DaG

--

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Marc Juul <marcjc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Co-working? yes
>
> $200 monthly dues? yep

$100 for evening memberships, free & reduced memberships available for
people who contribute to the community in some other needed way.

For profit? nothing stated to the contrary. seems likely.

The business structure is not a 501(c)(3).  Not because I do not believe in
and support non-profits, but only because I don't understand how to set
them up and manage them.   I would actually like to set the finances up as
a co-op and have been looking for co-op membership management software.

> Hierarchical organizational structure? assumed guilty until proven innocent

Actually I have always operated my small businesses as Reverse
Hierarchical<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_hierarchy>organizations.
   Which means if someone does shit in the stairway (thanks
Dennis), there is frequently no question about who's responsibility it is
to clean it up.   Mine.  :-)

Attempt to make their business venture more successful by luring in hackers
> from local non-profits? sounds like it

I hope not.  Noisebridge is the preeminent hackerspace for the world and
one I whole-heartedly respect and have supported with financial and in-kind
donations over the years.   I was reluctant to post to the list, but I also
have friends at Noisebridge and SUDO who have expressed interest in
teaching free classes in my space and also selling their kits here.   Only
wanted to make them aware we are open.   I got the "cross-pollination" idea
from here <https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Passport>.

Oh, wait, is the answer: By co-opting existing open communities into
> for-profit organizations?

Hopefully not by co-opting but by cooperating where possible.   I think we
will perhaps serve the (shall I say) "less initiated" and  "hacker-curious"
people of the world and Noisebridge will always have a loyal following of
true "out of the box" thinkers.   I'm hoping San Francisco is large enough
for a variety of hacker and maker venues and I will always promote
Noisebridge as the true Hackerspace.   (Rachel - I have removed the
Noisebridge branding)