[Noisebridge-discuss] request for recommendation for 3-D printer

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Wed Jul 3 01:22:16 UTC 2013

Here is a comprehensive list of 3d printers and prices and other details
(not sure if it is 100% up to date but it's not too bad):

http://www.3ders.org/pricecompare/3dprinters/

Myself I am a fan of the Replicator 2, which we have one of at Ace
Monster Toys and it mostly Just Works, although we did do a common
replacement to the extruder to better handle less-than-perfectly-even
filament.  I assume the 2X (discussed below) would be similar.  The 2
only has one extruder head and the build platform is not heated; it
costs $2.2k.

I've also had lots of success with the Type A machines Series One, and
this is the one that Make Magazine rated best in its class.  This is the
company Miloh's with, and as you are no doubt aware he is a SUPER
helpful guy, if you happen to need any help with it, which you might not
because it too is really easy and solid.  It's $1695, much less than the
Rep2 but still more than the Solidoodle.

I don't recommend a Cupcake or a Mosaic.  They require too much fiddling
with.  And that's all the machines in that price range that I'm familiar
with.

Rachel1.0