[Noisebridge-discuss] Where's Circuit Monday?

Liz Henry lizhenry at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 05:00:00 UTC 2013

I am sure a bunch of people could get together and run CHM nicely. It works
well to have more than one person there for teaching and on the spot
helping-out when people get stuck.   I can't do it for a while yet as I am
not feeling well enough physically.

It works well to get hands on as fast as possible without too much talk
first. But a bit of an intro is good! And definitely, encouraging people to
talk to and help each other is good to do.  Then people who are strangers
at first will turn to each other for advice.

The kits Mitch keeps in stock are pretty awesome. I have felt that some of
them are easier than others or take less time for beginners.  So I think of
some of them as good first kits and some as better for a 2nd kit or for
someone who does not mind spending hours.  What takes a confident /
experienced person an hour to do is going to take many people a lot longer
so they have to be ready to stay at NB till 11pm or later working on it.
NB itself can be a bit overwhelming and distracting so that factors in as
well.

Most of the fun/good/exciting kits are $20.

I like these:

Dice kit: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10212 (simple and relatively
fast)
Weevil: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10723  (cheaper)

Firefly jar: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11833  (haven't tried it but
it looks fun)

Drawdio: http://www.adafruit.com/products/124
TV B Gone: http://www.adafruit.com/products/73  ( a bit more time, but so
awesome)
Mintyboost: http://www.adafruit.com/products/14  (Harder in some ways,
parts are tinier, hard to do in bad light, can be screwed up)

Small simple 2-LED kit, very cheap:
http://www.makershed.com/Learn_to_Solder_Skill_Badge_Kit_p/mkls01.htm
Blinky lights, a little more expensive
http://www.makershed.com/product_p/mkdw3.htm

I can't remember the other kits Mitch has or where they come from but they
are all really cool!

Cheers

- Liz

Liz Henry