[Noisebridge-discuss] CopCards

maestro maestro415 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 16:05:44 UTC 2013

On 7/8/13, Sai <i at s.ai> wrote:

> So handing over license, insurance, and registration fulfills this
> law; you don't have to say a damn thing further, except (in stop &
> identify states) to state your name if detained (which is a subset of
> what you do with handing over dl/ins/reg for traffic stop).

just a small add-on to this is A LOT of people think rules change in a
traffic stop as you *must have* been pulled over for something. you
only have to crack your window a tiny bit and make sure you lock your
doors. even if they continue to ask you to roll down the window you
just calmly say "no, i'm okay with it like this and i can hear you, am
i being detained? (and on what charge)". and it's the same as the
street if they don't answer you can calmly say that they're non-answer
means you are free to go. if they don't answer just say it again "am i
being detained, and for what charge?" "am i free to go then?". there
are some great vids  on this on youtube and others where the cops are
totally schooled and have to let the people go every time. they'll try
to make you feel like you're not rolling the window all the way down
is suspicious behavior but it's not and they know you don't have to.
film them the whole time with your phone or whatever too. they'll ask
you to turn it off but they can ONLY ask, you DO NOT have to turn your
camera off ever.

message ends

> On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Leif Ryge <leif at synthesize.us> wrote:
>> Here is one example: In the state of Washington (and probably other
>> states) you have to tell the officer who owns the car you're driving:
>> http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.020
>> via
>> http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/2009/03/03/what-are-you-legally-required-to-do-during-a-traffic-stop-2/
>> via searching "traffic stop" "right to remain silent", which has some
>> other interesting hits.
>
> Thank you for the citation.
>
> However, my reading of it is that it merely requires a driver to "give
> his or her name and address and the name and address of the owner of
> such vehicle". It doesn't require you to *speak* those. Your name and
> address are on your driver's license; the owner's are on the
> registration.

 Your
> Seattle PI link seems to agree with that.
>
> FWIW, I intentionally chose not to make the cards state-specific;
> they're meant to be safe to act on nationwide. California, for
> instance, is *not* a stop & identify state; you don't TTBOMK have to
> tell the cops your name if detained.
>
> One question I have not been able to get a precise answer for is
> whether, in any S&I states, outside of a driving context, you are
> required to do anything more than merely state your name (such as
> provide identification). The one major court case that I saw on it
> (Hiibel) seemed to me to merely require identifying yourself, not
> furnishing proof thereof.
>
> See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes#Obligation_to_identify
> for more.
>
>>> I could put it into my github if you want, though I don't much see the
>>> point of that to be honest.
>>
>> I think it would be useful to see how the text evolves. It would also
>> make it easier for others to suggest changes (eg, pull requests).
>
> Fair enough. http://github.com/saizai/copcards
>
> Happy bikeshedding and/or substantive improving. ;-)
>
> - Sai

*~the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...*