[Noisebridge-discuss] Computer Equipment in an old home?

Gopi Flaherty gopiballava at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 20:43:51 UTC 2013

You should probably also consider a kill-a-watt or similar power meter. With all the little AC adaptors that are common nowadays it can be unclear how much power you're actually using. Phone chargers are usually between 2.5 and 10 watts. I've seen 45 watt laptop power supplies and I've seen 200 watt ones. You might find that you're using no more power than a 60W incandescent. Or you might be using more than a modern spec outlet can handle.

Thanks,

gopi at iPhone

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd at gmail.com>
wrote:

> +1
> Don't fuck around with electricity. Especially overloading that kind
> of old wiring. That's how you start fires.
> -adrian
> On 9 July 2013 13:12, Ronald Cotoni <setient at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Contact an electrician for this.  Your landlord might be able to help too.
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Brian Perez <knighty04 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey all, since SF has a lot of old buildings I'm sure someone could help
>>> me with this problem I'm facing.  I have an old home (circa 1930s) and all
>>> the wiring is the old copper cloth-covered kind and there's BARELY an outlet
>>> in the house.  My room has no outlet; my power is pulled through the window
>>> to the back room and up to the light socket.  BAD, I know.
>>>
>>> Being the tech guy I am I'm starting to run out of sockets with the
>>> extensions I have.  There's basically three surge protectors daisy changed
>>> to power everything in my room.
>>>
>>> What are my options to make this more secure and safe? (And potentially
>>> add more sockets)
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Brian