[Noisebridge-discuss] Computer Equipment in an old home?

Adrian Chadd adrian.chadd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 00:49:16 UTC 2013

... turn-on current.

TThe rush of turn-on current on a strip of electronics is not negligible.

I'd also be surprised if ye olde house wiring is actually safe at
drawing 15A. You may find it's actually not safe to drive it at that
for very long.

Combine that with all the myriad ways that these things are hooked up
behind the scenes - American houses seem have this habit of having
separate wiring for lights-that-terminate-on-wall-sockets versus the
occasional high-powered wall socket for something more than a light.
So it can all be quite deceptive. Your light circuit may not really
terminate a full 15A, let alone the higher rush when all your devices
turn on.

Add in all the possible damage and failure cases with that wire, with
say weather and other environmental effects, and there's quite a lot
of potential "wtf?" going on that a fuse just won't tell you about.
And that's the kind of thing that can start fires and/or kill people
in other creative ways.

Circuit breakers can detect and cut off these transient current
rushes. Fuses in mains wiring tend not to. I'd personally upgrade
everything to circuit breakers. If you start having some intermittent
circuit breaker resets, you can be sure you've done something stupid
or there's some transient dodgy wiring somewhere.

-adrian
(I don't fuck around when it comes to mains electricity.)