[Noisebridge-discuss] Kung Fu Mouse

hep dis at gruntle.org
Mon Jul 15 15:04:07 UTC 2013

about having a space cat:

having a space cat means SOMEONE needs to be super mature and responsible.
someone needs to feed the cat daily, make sure it is socialized (or it will
go feral and leave), make vet appts, transport the cat to them, clean up
frequent hairballs, etc. Also it is a myth that all cats hunt. It will
certainly hunt as a kitten, but may not actually kill anything. Which means
a ton of half killed mice running around that will need to be put down. It
may grow up not to kill at all. We have 6 cats, 2 of them refuse to kill
even if a mouse is taking food out of it's actual bowl.

If people want to solve the mice problem there are other ways, which
unfortunately also demand a certain level of responsibility. Put away all
food. Put out humane catch and release traps. Put down poison (not
recommended as this can have a devastating effect far beyond the local
mouse population, i can't tell you how many times I have seen someone kill
neighbor pets who cannot understand that the delicious smelling and tasting
poison is intended only for mice. However, do not just think a cat is going
to solve the mouse problem for you. Not to mention, someone is going to
have to clean up all the rat/mouse carcasses, which, if your cat is a
decent hunter, will usually be quite messy. I have to put away about 2-3
head severed carcasses per day. It is gross, and not at all fun to scrape a
mouse corpse off the sidewalk because it has been glued down by blood. And
that is just the ones you find right away...

-hep

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 7:19 AM, Martin Bogomolni <martinbogo at gmail.com>wrote:

> Which resulted in a few excellent, contributing NB members leaving the
> space permanently due to their allergies.  Very sad.
>
> -M
>

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 2:28 AM, Gopi Flaherty <gopiballava at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> They have tried to in the past, but there was a lot of push-back from the
>> pro-dog camp.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> gopi at iPhone
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 11:58 PM, Norman <pryankster at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks are worried about Cat allergies yet nobody says a thing about all
>>> of the Dogs allowed in?
>>>
>>> Norman
>>>
>>> On 7/14/2013 7:47 PM, Martin Bogomolni wrote:
>>>

>>> Unfortulately, hypoallergenic cats are .. sadly .. a myth (at best) and
>>> a scam (at worst.)   Here's an article from back in '09:
>>>

>>> http://blog.scienceinsociety.northwestern.edu/2009/06/curiosity-killed-the-hypoallergenic-cat/
>>>
>>> -M

hep
hepic photography || www.hepic.net