[Noisebridge-discuss] Dynamo Regulator Help Needed

Dennis Gentry dennis.gentry at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 21:24:13 UTC 2013

Maybe the simplest thing is to get a speaker that can directly handle the
amount of power that the dynamo can put out, and get rid of the audio amp.

Barring that, do you have a series capacitor (say 100 uF) between the
dynamo output and the audio amp input to block DC?  You shouldn't be
feeding any constant (DC) current into the audio amp, lest it blow up.

Another way to get it to blow up would be to feed the audio amp (or the
aforementioned 100 uF cap) too high a voltage.  Instead, load the dynamo
with a (relatively high valued so it doesn't get hot) resistor across its
terminals to keep the voltage in a sane range, then use a voltage divider
to bring that maximum output voltage down to whatever your audio amp can
handle.

Less critical issues:  Do you want it to get louder as (the dynamo rotates
faster and) it gets higher pitched, or do you want to keep the volume
somewhat constant?   You might find that the dynamo will make a lot more
power at high RPMs, so when you scale down the voltage as needed to not
blow things up, the audio might not be audible at low RPMs without
amplification.  (This is easy to fix, if it is what you want.)

Hope this helps a bit!
Dennis
P.S.  Anyone know a good way to quickly draw and send circuit diagrams in
email?