[Noisebridge-discuss] Hacker Fellowship

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Wed Jul 24 17:05:27 UTC 2013

I strongly protest the idea of a $2,000/mo expenditure being consensed
on in a short timeframe.  I don't think Noisebridge is even close to
being able to afford that amount, and I don't think that a general fund
fellowship is a good model for Noisebridge to adopt.

Several people who should be involved in this discussion are in Europe
for OHM and nearby events.  So please continue the discussion until, at
the very earliest, August 13 with a consensus on August 20.

The model you're proposing is nothing at all like Noisetor, which
receives donations that otherwise would not be coming to Noisebridge and
provides a portion of those donations to the general fund while using
the rest to cover the costs of a general public good rather than going
to the benefit of an individual.  If Noisetor were to fall short in a
given month there's no risk to Noisebridge general fund.

As the proposal currently stands I would strongly block having a
Fellowship.  A few suggestions that might help sway my opinion, but I'm
still not sure I would support it even with these changes.

 - account Fellowship donations separately in the Noisetor model, and no
   fellowship for a given month if there aren't enough donations
 - make the watermark 6 months rather than 3
 - make the fellowship smaller
 - decide further ahead than "the same month".
 - figure out a sustainable model for decisionmaking -- having a
   popularity contest at a Tuesday meeting every month is going to get
   super old, real fast.

-andy