[Noisebridge-discuss] Ask The Food Hackers

Dan Cote terminationshok at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 01:41:53 UTC 2013

I was one of the organizers of tastebridge for six months. I also like to
cook. I also do construction. I also got sick from cleaning parts of
Noisebridge, wood that has been soaked in piss and shit. I cleaned some of
Tony's mess inside the elevator shaft. I woke up with an upper respiratory
infection the next day and I had to stop. That's why it's still a mess.
Even though I was wearing a mask and gloves. The kitchen had wooden
cabinets that were marinated in mouse piss and shit and dead roach juice.

Some hackers resent the kitchen because people use it for sustenance
cooking and leave a mess. Those hackers think oogles come here to use the
kitchen and go to sleep. Oogles have been known to do that. Those hackers
think if we get rid of all our nice things, (kitchen, public computer
terminals, phone, etc) that the oogles will go away. Wrong. Oogles will
live in a hollowed out bridge underpass. I am not trying to get rid of the
kitchen.

I want to help build the next kitchen. Please don't say this was done
without consulting the community. We have talked about it for months. A
separate meeting was started because rebase was taking too long to talk
about at the general meeting. The sci-fi kitchen is an olive branch to the
hackers who say that "Food hacking is not real hacking." The indoor solar
stove is a burner joke. It will burn down at burning man every year and be
considered unsafe for the rest of society. Unless somehow it
actually does work. None of this is intended to replace useful kitchen
infrastructure.

I have written enough on this issue for everyone to know what I think. I
can't respond to any more mail without dominating the conversation. I don't
have time for it either. I will attend the next rebase meeting. Please also
do so if you care about this issue and are able to. As for asking the other
food hackers:

If you cannot make it to the rebase
meeting<https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Rebase#The_Rebase_Meeting>,
please write your suggestions, questions, concerns, trolls, lols, and drama
here in this thread. I will proxy for you at the meeting. Let me know if
you want to be there on skype or irc. Or contact someone else and get them
to proxy.

If you want to use a giant fresnel lens to burn things at burning man:
spark<http://spark.burningman.com/ad-category/art-installations/fire-effects-art-installations/>