[Noisebridge-discuss] happy feminist film night: Hayao Miyazaki?

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 22:18:19 UTC 2013

Adrian replied privately:

>I completely agree with your "are you willing to modify your position"
outlook. But does this also mean you're willing to modify your own ideals,
morals and opinions?

(I am re-forwarding to list, in the hopes of keeping public discussion
public. I'm not in this discussion to get feminist troll jollies, or to do
pro bono one-on-one lessons in feminist thought. I'm seeking to have public
culturehacking discussions about issues that are clearly important to many
members of the NB community.)

Your question seems to me to presuppose a parity in this discussion - ie,
that in a discussion about feminism, the opinions of all should be weighted
equally.

I believe that in a discussion about feminist goals, women are the de facto
experts. I do not expect blind abasement to my opinions in all matters. I
do expect that my opinion of [*what women ought to do* in order to try and
be less oppressed] is more valid than that of a not-woman.

I further often hear similar sentiments to this email that to me, overall,
sound like 'why do *you* get to have prime number one opinion?! Unfair!'
Which seems to indicate a belief that I would hold (or have held) the same
stance WRT some other discussion that is not supposed to be centered on
what I think and feel. I change my beliefs all the time, based on evidence
I am constantly gathering from the world around me. I listen really well to
the opinions of others, actually. After all, part of how they train you to
be a woman in this society is to make sure you listen more and speak less.
We are experts at hearing how your opinions center in your self. We are the
half of society that is trained to center in others, to listen, support,
and learn passively. We must undo that training and if you want to help
then google around 'how to be a good ally'. I promise it starts and ends
with listening, and has f*ckall to do with you worrying about my personal
growth. Worry about your own.

I only started learning the language of feminism recently, to describe
patterns I have empirically observed in a way that is more systematized,
less easily dismissed. Ultimately, feminism is centered on women, what they
think, feel, and want. It's not about anything except the collaborative
opinion of a certain group of people.

Which seems to be the main sticking point for lots of folks.

I invite you to consider that this novel feeling is in fact a reversal of
an invisible, insidious, and very strong status quo.

R.