[Noisebridge-discuss] Mac MSDOS FAT32 XHDD drive formatting problem...

Brink Of Complexity brink.0x3f at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 08:20:37 UTC 2013

Before going to lots of trouble with yet another operating system in the
mix, please realize that Windows XP doesn't recognize drives with an EFT
partition table, which is what modern systems use by default.  Symptoms of
an unrecognizable partition table are: the drive hardware is recognized by
Windows, but you can't do anything with it. Sound familiar?

The legacy partition table type you need is Master Boot Record.

To format drives with MBR partition tables using OSX, just pick the
"Partition" option from Disk Utility before doing "Erase". Setup the
partition layout however you'd like, then click the "Options" button and
choose "Master Boot Record" as the partition table type before you apply
changes.

Then format however you'd like.

*Hint: if you were to make a Linux boot disk on the same stick instead,
you'd probably still have to format the drive with MBR partition tables
first, especially if the machine you're installing to is a couple years old.

Hope that helps!

- Brink

On Jun 12, 2013 12:36 AM, "Eric W. Rasmussen" <ewr at majortek.com> wrote:

> That's a great tutorial. Thanks for suggesting Linux as a solution. I'll
simply add that Unetbootin is my boot creator of choice. Everyone has their
preferences.

> Sounds like "Someone" needs to upgrade to a better (ahem...linux)
operating system.

> I just performed the final upgrade to my laptop (Asus U52F). I already
replaced the RAM w/ 8GB a couple of years ago. I installed a Samsung 120GB
SSD and put the original HDD (600GB) into a CD drive caddy. I did the
appropriate modifications for TRIM, swapiness, cache and
mounting/permissions. LinuxMint14. This thing runs my vm's like they are
native. My RAM usage is lower. My CPU usage is lower.

> The weather is great! Thanks Linux.

>> Besides what Eric wrote, you could also use a Linux Live distro to
>> partition and format the X USB HD "as a Windows XP drive".

USB, from which I have found no way to format it.

http://www.puppylinux.com/