[Noisebridge-discuss] electronics bench

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 23:09:48 UTC 2013

--Thanks, Douglas, for beginning the process of spring cleaning the
electronics bench. We removed the two public computers from the backside
of the bench, and personally i'd prefer the electronics bench not be
used as a home for public computers anymore. In recent months, we
electronics hackers have often had to squeeze in-between people watching
YouTube videos and other non-electronics activities.

--We have a lot of great donated electronics components (which i and
others spend many hours digging through and labeling). But we still
waste far too much time searching for parts that NB just does not have.
Since my request for $10/month electronics supply fund was shot down at
a recent NB meeting, I'm cancelling my $10/mo auto-pay to Noisebridge.
Instead, i'm going to donate the money directly to the electronics area.
If others would like to donate a small one-time or monthly amount ($5 to
$10) directly to Noisebridtge electronics section, then I will manage
monthly supply purchases. The funds will be used for integrated
circuits, tantalum capacitors, photoresistors, schmitt triggers,
connectors, heat guns, batteries, etc. There's a lot we can do for
relatively little money. Items will be selected on the basis of general
usefulness to hackers. The goal is to full the holes in our core stock
of standard components first, then specialty items after that. All
donations received and purchases made will be posted publicly on the NB
wiki. Paypal donation email: johnyradio at gmail.com

--it might be helpful if NB could set up need-specific subscription
options, like "woodshop", "kitchen", "sewing area", etc. If there's an
alternate way to funnel electronics donations, somebody plz let me know.

--As always, we welcome donated electronics components and gear. At the
moment, we are hurting for heat guns-- they all disappeared (how's that
RFID project coming?).

--It's really annoying for us non-members to have to hide our project
boxes in the stacks, hoping they won't get smashed or hacked. How's that
locker/cubby project going?

--Numerous boxes and bags of personally property belonging to Harvey
were found stored under the electronics bench (and scattered elsewhere
throughout the space). Thursday evening, myself and a couple others
moved all his stuff to the 3rd-floor elevator anteroom. Although others
were prepared to put Harvey's stuff out with the trash, I suggested he
be given a bit more time to remove it-- apparently he was evicted or
something. His stuff is gone now, i do not know to where.

--

Johny Radio

Stick It In Your Ear!