[Noisebridge-discuss] You like your phone?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Mon Jun 3 22:58:33 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 03:10:15PM -0700, Mitch Altman wrote:
> I really like my phone:  a G2 (Desire-Z -- with a real keyboard).
> But, it has a 3-year-old processor, and is kinda slow with Jellybean.
> So, I'm gonna buy a new one.
>
> Does anyone have a new phone that they like enough to recommend?  Does
> one exist that can last an entire day on its own battery any more?
> Big bonus if it can be easily rooted.

The Samsung Galaxy S Relay (sold by t-mobile here in the US) is pretty
decent.  It has a 5-row keyboard (number keys!).  I can run the battery
down in 8 hours if I use it intensively, but under normal usage the
battery lasts for around 20 hours.  It has 1GB of RAM and a dual-core
CPU, so performance is OK with the preinstalled Android 4.0.4.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3791

I haven't tried rooting it.  It ships SIM-locked but TMO will issue an
unlock code if you say you're traveling overseas.

-andy