[Noisebridge-discuss] Thoughts on establishing commitment to NB

Tom Lowenthal me at tomlowenthal.com
Thu Jun 6 20:33:02 UTC 2013

> I made a lock and cable for the front door donation box.  The cable has
> been cut. The box has been broken because no one has the keys for the
> lock. I tried to give Danny the keys to the boxes last year but he
> wouldn't accept them. I tried to give the keys to Snail (President) but
> she looked at me like I was an inconvenience.

Hi Eric,

I really appreciated your effort to secure the donation bins; thank
you very much for doing that. I have the keys to both of the locks,
and I collect from them (albeit slightly less frequently than would
probably be optimal). That's not why things are broken.

The orange box was broken one evening -- while I looked on in horror
-- by someone who then snatched a handfull of cash and bolted. I don't
think they even saw that I was there. Sadly I did not exit the shop
swiftly enough to engage them in productive mediated dialogue. =[

I'd really like it if we had a donation box which was cabled to the
pillar and durable-enough to prevent it from being emptied over the
course of five minutes. I know that the presence of the dirty shop
makes any box defeatable, given time and effort; I'd just prefer that
time to be slightly longer, and that effort to be loud and noticeable.

I don't really know what to look for in such a contraption but if you
could recommend a make/model, I'd happily acquire and donate it to
Noisebridge. If anyone else wants to help fund a more secure cash box,
please let me know how much you can pledge (off-list please).

Thanks,
-Tom