[Noisebridge-discuss] [dorkbotsf-blabber] IP assignment - personal or corporate?

Edwin P. Berlin, Jr. eberlin at lightsailenergy.com
Fri Jun 7 18:44:27 UTC 2013

It depends on your relationship with your company.
If you own much of the company and are looking for funding,
investors will want to see IP in the company.  If you invented the
subject matter as an individual, you own the patent, and should assign
rights to the company in exchange for something tangible (stock shares
or $1 are typical).

Once companies are funded they typically have a requirement that all
employees
must assign rights to IP invented for the company.

If you can and want to retain ownership of the patent personally, think
about how
you would make money with it under that scenario.  That typically means
starting
another company, assigning the IP to it, etc.

Ed

--
Edwin P. Berlin, Jr.
Co-founder and Chief Technical Officer