[Noisebridge-discuss] asked james to leave

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Thu Jun 20 21:38:47 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 08:27:36PM -0700, Leif Ryge wrote:
> This afternoon I asked an older man named James to leave Noisebridge.
>
> This is loud obnoxious James who used to wear a cowboy hat and be around
> frequently. Today was the first time I've seen him in several months; I
> heard he has been in southen california.
>
> Based on conversations I've had with him and with people who know him
> better than I do, I believe he harasses women on the street and responds
> poorly to suggestions that he should stop doing that.
>
> I told him that I would prefer that he *not* return to the weekly
> meeting, but that if he wants to see if the rest of the community agrees
> with my assessment that he should not be at Noisebridge he could attend.
> He said he will stay away until the meeting and will come to "stand
> trial".
>
> I think James epitomizes the truism that by including some people we are
> actually exlcuding others. I hope we don't need to spend too much time
> discussing him at the meeting.
>
> ~leif
>
> ps: Thank you to the 3 people who agreed to join me in having this
> difficult conversation!

Update on James: When I arrived at Noisebridge a little while ago, he
was outside. I asked if he was coming from or going to Noisebridge, or
just hanging out outside. He said he was just standing on the sidewalk,
and didn't want to talk to me, and said I should expect to be served
with a lawsuit for defamation of character. He also reiterated that he
will be at the Tuesday meeting.

~leif