[Noisebridge-discuss] [SPAM] Tattoos vs. behavior

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Thu Jun 20 22:53:44 UTC 2013

Link,

I was trying to avoid participating in this thread, as I felt like
enough reasonable people had already done so, but since you're repeating
the same faulty-logic faulty-logic here on the list again after I talked
to you in person about it I'm replying here now...

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 01:42:23PM -0700, LinkReincarnate wrote:
> I was saying (and won't apologize for because it's true) that their
> assumptions of another person's values based on their appearance were
> faulty and that racists fall to the same faulty logic.

Comparing judgements based on a tattoo (which someone was not born with)
with judgements based on a person's ancestry (which they were born with)
is where your logic is failing, Link.

I totally understand that some people have tattoos that they wish they
didn't have, and it sounds like that might be the case here. But, being
in public without covering it up is a choice that must be made on an
ongoing basis.

People feeling uncomfortable around symbols that represent hate and
violence is hardly surprising. I don't think it is reasonable to expect
everyone at Noisebridge to either "not look at it if it bothers them"
(as Mik has said) or to go talk to the person with the frightening
tattoos to see if they actually hold the views they're broadcasting to
the world.

Many people don't feel like having that conversation, and they shouldn't
need to just to feel safe while using Noisebridge.

I'm willing to discuss this further offline, but am going to try to
refrain from posting any more on this list about it as I think enough
has been said here already.

~leif