[Noisebridge-discuss] Wade asked to leave

Jake jake at spaz.org
Thu Jun 20 23:28:33 UTC 2013

I think that this cultural downturn has something to do with the door
policy being set to "promiscuous" mode.

after asking at at least one meeting, and soliciting opinions on the
mailing list, I did not hear of any objections to putting a code keypad at
the top of the stairs, in replacement of the DOOR button.  This would make
it so that one could not buzz open the door from upstairs without a code.

Nobody objected, so i built the keypad and got it working.  Then someone
else who thought this would be a good idea disabled the original DOOR
button.  At that point the only way to get the door open from upstairs
was by entering a code on that keypad, or from one's phone or laptop.

This went on for a month or so, and then wiretapped and MCT decided to
undo it, by changing the upstairs keypad to "promiscuous" mode so that any
key will buzz the door open.  And that's how it is now.

That means that anyone, whoever they are, can ring the doorbell and
anyone, whoever they are, if they are upstairs, can go and press a button
and let them in.

Is it hard to see how this open-door policy fills noisebridge with the
lowest common denominator?

If you want to go back to the good old days when people could only buzz
people in if they have a code, remove the --promiscuous parameter from the
instance of baron.py that serves the upstairs keypad.  This is on
minotaur.

-jake