[Noisebridge-discuss] It has come to my attention that...

hep dis at gruntle.org
Thu Jun 27 15:45:22 UTC 2013

I would like to take this opportunity to say that I support anyone who
chooses not to involve law enforcement in a sexual assault or other
situation if that is the way they desire to deal with the incident. Law
enforcement has a notoriously poor record on prosecuting or taking
seriously sexual assault claims. I fully understand not wanting to go
through an even more invasive procedure of "proving" your violation in a
court of law setting, complete with the humiliation and damage to one's
reputation that most sexual assault cases incur.

In closing: please don't tell sexual assault victims what to do! Seriously!
We all know about law enforcement! We have also grown up with SUV, and CSI
and other kinds of cop shows. We weren't raised in some kind of cave system
wherein we managed to make it to whatever age we are without knowing about
police. Did you not see that a major politician pushing through legislature
recently spoke to the idea that rape kits "clean you out" after a rape? Are
we not witnessing several states going through the motions of making it
illegal to have abortions even in the case of rape or incest? Are there not
repeatedly cases in the media wherein teen girls are raped and it takes
massive online social pressure to even prod the police into making an
investigation? We do not yet live in a society where the majority powers
take sexual assault seriously enough, and are able to prosecute it with the
full respect of the victims. If you want more sexual assault victims to
report to police, instead of telling them what to do, why don't you work on
pressuring law enforcement systems to take sexual assault seriously, and
change their practices to provide more support to the victims instead of
putting them through an often even more demeaning and traumatic ordeal. jfc
this list sometimes.

-hep

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Scott Feichter <scottfeichter at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Separate from this specific situation of which I know nothing, I encourage
> anyone who feels as though they have been sexually harassed to contact law
> enforcement as a first line response.
>
> I know many feel disappointed in government these days, but there are
> resources specifically available for this through fed, state, and local gov
> since after all sexual harassment is illegal.

hep
hepic photography || www.hepic.net
    dis at gruntle.org || 415 867 9472