[Noisebridge-discuss] Response to Rebase Notes

Nathan nejucomo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 23:53:21 UTC 2013

Hello,

A long time lurker de-lurking here to stand up for non-members and radical
openness:

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Johny Radio <johnyradio at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hey, Leif
>
> Appreciate your thoughtful and valid points, in your previous email. And,
> sorry for suggesting you don't want to improve NB, that was silly of me.
>

> On 6/26/2013 6:08 PM, Leif Ryge wrote:
>
> TechShop has an awesome waiver
>

> I was wondering if you could clarify the TechShop "waiver".
>
>  Making it more difficult to get in would be killing the goose that lays
> golden eggs.
>

> I believe prevention is better, easier, less stressful, than banishment.
>
> If NB distributes lots of public door codes to potential newbies (through
> tech and hacker channels, schools, etc etc etc etc), those folks will not
> have any problem getting access.

I disagree.

There's no way we can distribute tokens as widely as possible to prevent
disallowing awesome new people.  It's not uncommon for me to meet people
from out of town who make a point to visit noisebridge for their first
time.  How could you have any confidence that you know how they discovered
noisebridge?

The best bet, it seems, would be to put the access instructions on the
front page of the wiki.  Then the question becomes: What good does this
accomplish?

(As a caveat, I am only in the space about once a month, and I mostly
ignore discuss until recently, so I don't have a lot of context of the
difficulties of openness.)

regards.