[Noisebridge-discuss] Occupying Vacant Commercial Property

Simon C. Ion ion.simon.c at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 02:44:15 UTC 2013

On 03/11/2013 07:30 PM, Martin Bogomolni wrote:
> There is no commercial rent control in San Francisco.  There is rent
> control for housing, but I've never heard of a "10 year fallow"
> clause.

Pursuant to the Ellis Act, the Notice of Constraints imposes a 5-year
period of vacancy control from the effective date of withdrawal [of a
building from the housing rental market]. If the Ellis filing is
rescinded, the 5-year period of vacancy control runs from the date of
filing of the Notice of Intent with the Rent Board. Upon written request
to the landlord, a displaced tenant has the right of first refusal if
the unit is put back on the rental market within 10 years of the
effective date of withdrawal. In such case, the landlord can charge only
the rent-controlled rent within the first five years, but can charge
market rent during the next five years.

Search for "Evictions Pursuant to the Ellis Act" at
http://www.sfrb.org/index.aspx?page=946