[Noisebridge-discuss] Flyer for benefit

Stan Osborne stan at ana.com
Tue Mar 12 21:51:39 UTC 2013

Jim's description of "press kit" is good.

The best "press releases" do all the work for a journalist,
or for the editor.  The first person to read them is often
an "Intern" who collects them from the mailroom, fax machine,
etc.  If you get these past the Intern, you've done a good
job of making it interesting.  It is even harder to get the
'story' in print, or mentioned on the Radio or TV.

When I've been lucky enough to have one of my releases
published, complete sentences were cut and pasted.  What
was printed was mostly verbatum, but much shorter than
what appeared in the release.  (short sentences, short
paragraphs, no more than 1/2 a page, the rest more details
about the organizations invovled, contact info, etc.)

Or in other words, press releases are flyers for journalists.
The press packet starts with a release but has lots of
additional propaganda related to the release or the organization
behind the release.

If you know a journalist, editor, publisher, meet up with them
and hand them the release.  Be sure to tell them why it is
a good story.  Then follow up when they are at work to remind
them.

Good PR people are paid for their ability to turn an event
into a good story.  Editors answer the phone when good story
tellers call.

Stan