[Noisebridge-discuss] On Asking People To Leave (Was Re: Shawn L. )

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Wed Mar 13 08:01:18 UTC 2013

Shawn,

We are consensing on banning you from Noisebridge next week, which is
a fairly serious step that we've only had to enact twice before.

As in a previous case, there is a document containing ten Noisebridge
community member's statements about your behaviour among the
Noisebridge community. The document is being kept offline for privacy
reasons, but can be read by anyone who wishes to contact the keepers,
who are Alex Peake and Tom Lowenthal, both of whom are well known in
the community.

There was swift consensus on making the banning proposal, with no objections.

We went onto discuss how, as a community, we would pass the collated
information more widely to other hacker communities.

I speak only for myself when I say that the best thing you might
consider doing right now is returning back to Washington where  you
have an outstanding warrant for your arrest in the matter of violating
probation, felony stalking, violating a restraining order, harassment,
and stalking.

I do speak for a large proportion of the Noisebridge community who
have made it clear that they wish to communicate as widely as possible
what we know about your current state, and to warn others who you
might harass. We are already reaching out individually to hackerspaces
in our area, and will be relaying the news to Portland.

http://pastebin.com/EWBJ4WmN

We also spoke about how we might better react more quickly, and listen
more swiftly to those who were concerned about your behaviour earlier.

Shawn, I don't think I can say this any more explicitly than this in
public: we at Noisebridge are extremely concerned by your behavior,
and worried for your mental health. Please return home and seek care.
You have been banned from several houses in our city, you are about to
be banned from Noisebridge, and we are about to make even more public
our concerns. You have been told all of these things repeatedly by
individuals, groups of housemates, and law enforcement, and have made
no change in your behaviour. Please change it now.

d.