[Noisebridge-discuss] how to build up cold room - cooling system tips

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 15 00:23:25 UTC 2013

Thanks,
Answers in the text as >>>

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker
http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org

________________________________
 From: Richard Conroy <richard.conroy at gmail.com>
To: "091-food at googlegroups.com" <091-food at googlegroups.com>
Cc: tastebridge tastebridge <tastebridge at lists.noisebridge.net>; 091 Foods <091-food at googlegroups.com>; "foodhackingbase at lists.hackerspaces.org" <foodhackingbase at lists.hackerspaces.org>; Noisebridge <noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] how to build up cold room - cooling system tips

an airlock style double door will go a long way towards preventing temperature dilution.

>>> yes  that sounds like a good idea, I should not go to the cold room very often, maybe few times per day so there should not be too much air exchange with the fermentation room

The key thing with a cold room is how precise you need the cooling to be. I know a few guys who do lagering and that is tricky to get right.

>>> The temperature in the cold room can range between 1-4C (34-39F) or so, it doesn't has to be precise too much in this case because various brews will be stored there.

If your insulation is good then your cooling needs only be active in restoring the temperature.

>>> I will have to decide on the insulation, I think that 15-20 cm (+-0.6ft) of polystyrene should do the trick, with probably 2 drywall panels on the top and some easy to clean painting. Option number two which may be more easy here is to buy already made panels with steel coating on both sides and polystyrene in the middle, they use it here a lot. However if I get that, I need to get hands on some metal cutter and probably welding gear and I'm quiet inexperienced with both ...

Also if you can get your hands on a horizontal fridge like what you get in a supermarket for ice creams, it will provide a lot of protection as it is well insulated

>>> I have seen guys using this type of freezer but hacked in Seoul exactly for lagering beer, looked good, I may use it in the future for the same process.

>>> Many thanks, still doing research on the cooling unit but it looks like that it should not be too difficult to turn the air conditioner to the cooling device, there is a commercial kit called coolbot for some $300. I want to find if they are open source and if they are not I want to find some open source option. This will be amazing thing to do in Central America ... I am sure some people do it already but many do not know how to do such things, ohhh hackerspaces how much we need them!

>>> Sincerely from Jeju,

>>> Frantisek

Sent from my iPhone

Hi to all,