[Noisebridge-discuss] Get the F Out!

Sean Cusack sean.p.cusack at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 17:30:54 UTC 2013

I like chemistry things (and used to do it for a living), so I checked all
this out! What can I say, I get intrigued!

Quick background to bring non chemistry lovers up to speed. FlourINE is an
element, but you can't find any hanging around in its natural form as
FlourINE. Instead, it comes bundled up with other atoms, then dissociates
into the FlourIDE anion. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that you
can't buy a bucket of Flouride and dump it into something....it has to come
from somewhere.

>From what I can tell, the website is *really* protesting the use of
Fluoride from an HFS source instead of the (naturally occurring) CaF
source. Since HFS is a byproduct of other industrial processes, it is
claimed that it is "hazardous waste" on the site. Just because it is a
byproduct doesn't mean its waste. Its industry's version of material
recycling. The people that make this HFS as a byproduct have to clean it up
to sell it just like it was any other chemical, or else no one would
purchase it.

Secondly, HFS is an attractive flourine source since it has *6* flourines
per molecule. The naturally occurring version only has 2. More flourines
per molecule, the less you need to buy to get the dose you want, so its
cheaper. What about safety? The leftover silicon will probably bond with
some oxygen running around to form good old SiO2 - which is sand. Like, the
stuff on the beach.

Lastly is the dose. I don't know what the dose of flouride in water is.
However, it is known that a dose of 70mg F / 1 kg body mass would kill half
the people that took it. If we assume even a 3kg newborn, that would be a
210mg F- dose. HFS has a sour odor, and fumes if it is in too high of a
concentration. If we assume we'd be able to smell 1 part in 10,000 flouride
(*very conservative*. We can smell parts per million of sulfur compounds),
that means concentration in the water supply is 0.1mg / gram water or less.
At 0.1mg/g conc, a newborn baby would have to drink 2100g = 2100mL or about
4 pint glasses full of water to get this dose in a day. Not impossible, but
near impossible.

Anyways, those are my $0.02.

Sean