[Noisebridge-discuss] Consensus on Barring Shawn Landden from the Noisebridge space and community (Was Re: On Asking People To Leave (Was Re: Shawn L. ))

Snail snailtsunami at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 19:18:17 UTC 2013

Last night, we reached consensus on the decision to ban Shawn from
Noisebridge and the community, which in full wording goes, "Shawn Landden
is barred from Noisebridge. He is prohibited from entering the space or
participating in the community."

The statement is intentionally worded to so it can be interpreted to
encompass DIGITAL as well as PHYSICAL space.

You can see the meeting notes at
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2013_03_19

I am relieved to see the community band together on this decision, without
hesitation, and hope that it encourages people hurt by this person to
return and continue to be a part of our community. :) Because we do care.
And I always look forward to discussions on what we can do to do better
next time, because it will happen again, at Noisebridge, at every
hackerspace, and it will happen with people we like and are very attached
to and we need to be prepared, mentally, to make difficult decisions.

I know members of other hackerspaces like to joke about Noisebridge drama,
but this is not silly Internet drama. These are real problems that happen
in every hackerspace, every place on the planet, and we're trying to solve
a problem that is unsolved (how can you guarantee the safety of people in a
space, when that space is in a society where violence and threats against
people is accepted, even lauded, because the recipients are women?).

We talk about it openly, and I'm glad talk is open. Information is our best
tool here.

--