[Noisebridge-discuss] DoJ supports the right to record police (and to sue if they try to stop you)

maestro maestro415 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 22:05:43 UTC 2013

# important to know USC 1983...

# depending on what they are found guilty of>>
# under color of law, if they are found criminally>>
# guilty, they LOSE their badge FOR LIFE and cannot>>
# work as cops of any type in the U.S. again and best part>>
# is there is NO APPEAL allowed.

# 'they' do not want people to know this.

# reference available in book "Police Misconduct Laws">>
# at the law library civic center across from city hall>>
# van ness/mcallister upstairs (it's a red book)...

# not applicable if you settle for $ and don't go criminal.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 10:32 PM, Sai <sai at saizai.com> wrote:

> Probably of interest to some of you.
>
> tl;dr version: Garcia is a photojournalist. He got arrested for taking
> pictures from across the street of someone else getting arrested.
>
> Charges were dropped, he sued the city and the individual police for
> violating his civil rights under color of law (42 USC §1983). City &
> cops claimed immunity.
>
> Department of Justice filed a "statement of interest" (~= an amicus
> brief)… defending Garcia, and saying that the city & cops should *not*
> get immunity.
>
> I'd recommend reading that third document in particular, in full. It's
> pretty significant that even the DoJ is officially speaking against
> police who try to prevent people from recording them.
>
> http://images.politico.com/global/2013/03/08/garcia-complaint.pdf
> http://images.politico.com/global/2013/03/08/garcia-motion-to-dismiss.pdf
> http://images.politico.com/global/2013/03/08/garcia_doj_soi_03-04-13.pdf
>
> Earlier case:
> http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/spl/documents/Sharp_ltr_5-14-12.pdf
>
> - Sai

*~the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...*