[Noisebridge-discuss] door "security": culture, not policy.

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 02:52:08 UTC 2013

That's the huge issue in a conversation like this about a place like
Noisebridge: subjective experiences vary *wildly*.

I have personally never been made to feel scared for my well-being.
Then again, I'm one of those thick-skinned women with can smell
"broken" a mile away.

I *have* felt "generally uncomfortable" to the point where I didn't
want to be at Noisebridge.  Certain individuals have been the cause of
this.  Those individuals either change their ways or get kicked out,
but some persist despite obvious trollishness.  Given that this echoes
the general pattern of online communities, I don't think these
conditions have anything to do with Noisebridge in particular, but
rather "open" communities in general.

I *have* had stuff of mine gone missing (I'll never find another
leather jacket like that #sadpanda), so I don't leave anything there
anymore, not unless I have a friend looking after it.  I treat
Noisebridge like a public space -- e.g. a cafe or a public park -- not
like a guarded clubhouse.  And I get along in this way just fine.

So I am taking everyone's experiences in stride, trying to flesh out
my picture of the myriad ways Noisebridge expresses, and the
situations that influence the outcomes.

--Naomi