[Noisebridge-discuss] Twenty-three theses (was: Re: To the @#$er that broke into my member shelf...)

Mitchel McAllister xonimmortal at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 24 04:37:57 UTC 2013

--- On Sat, 3/23/13, Garrett Mace <garrettmace at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you believe this explanation should modify any approaches to a
> solution?
> Was Noisebridge ever intended or equipped to provide social services to
> marginalized people? Are there services nearby that such people could be
> guided to better serve their physical and mental needs?

I can't be sure, but I believe the previous poster was not suggesting that we offer such services, but rather that we no further marginalize people based on facts which, frankly, are none of our damned business.

Is it part of the purpose or mission of Noisebridge to verify residency or employment at the door? Is it vital to the community's interest to exclude those who might be receiving food stamps or disability?

I noticed that a previous post referred to a difference between the current and previous space being that more users were "gainfully employed". I look forward to the discussions regarding how many hours per week a user must work "gainfully" in order to qualify for inclusion. The negotiations for creating the mandatory reporting form to be signed by the employer should be entertaining, at the very least.

I know that most members would not be comfortable with at least one of my bosses coming to the space to offer testimony, as She has been known to not suffer fools gladly, and tends to present object lessons that can be quite painful for the recipient.

We seem to keep shooting off the topic on odd tangents. Can we agree on what, exactly, the problem is, and then work on addressing the problem?

As I recall (correct me if I am wrong), the problem was presented as a series of petty thefts. I fail to see how protestations of more-hacker-than-thou, character assessments, and pigeon-holing entire groups of users addresses theft at all.

- Reverend Mik McAllister
Purveyor of Subversive Fiction
http://www.prismandink.com
http://www.lunatextpublications.com