[Noisebridge-discuss] Online Cloaking Devices table at NB Fundraiser

Snail snailtsunami at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 00:22:01 UTC 2013

Hello all,

Since I am mourning the postponement of CryptoParty II: Enciphered
Boogaloo, I'm proposing the Online Cloaking Devices table for our NB
fundraiser & setting up at least one demo.

I myself am preparing, let's call it a Deep Web Diving Demo [name may
be changed to something less silly], to show what web sites see when
you use TorBrowserBundle, VirtualBox, and possibly Tails (with a live
usb), with a grand finishing visit to the Silk Road.

Definitely, if you want to demo or prepare information for other
privacy/security tools, organizations, or just encryption in general,
please do!! There are so many topics that it's impossible to cover
them all. You can co-ordinate with me or add something to the demo
list on the wiki
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Art#Tables_and_Demonstrations_at_the_Fundraiser

I know that SECURITY and ENCRYPTION tend to be intimidating, but I
think you will find it easy to turn any of these complex tools or
topics into a quick table demo as long as you choose one audience (new
users, medium, or experts) and narrow your scope to a tool, toolset,
or topic. [Ex. My audience is new users who want to make it more
difficult for web sites to track/identify them or explore .onion
sites, and I'm only going to use 2-3 tools which are relatively simple
to install and only requires ONE use of GPG to verify one download's
signature. THIS IS ACTUALLY REALLY SIMPLIFIED FOR SECURITY TOPICS,
FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN! I'M KIND OF SAD AND SHOUTING IN ALL CAPS THAT IT
REALLY IS THIS COMPLICATED, BUT I HOPE TO bundle the information into
something easy for new users to digest.]

Also: If you have access to stickers/buttons for any of these or other
security/privacy tools or tangentially related things, I would love to
add them to the table, even if they don't have a specific demo,
because those things are shiny and I would love to be surrounded by
shiny objects!!

Also also: This might be a good location for someone to set up a
Bitcoin information table & volunteer to help people transact Bitcoin
donations to Noisebridge. Just sayin'. 'Cause I will be showing people
the Silk Road and they will want to know what Bitcoin is.

--
-Snailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnails