[Noisebridge-discuss] Max/MSP Class #8, Wednesday March 27 at 20:00 in Turing

Sam Tarakajian sam at cycling74.com
Wed Mar 27 05:34:55 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Tomorrow is Wednesday, ergo, we Max.

As I understand it, Geoff has been doing a fine job of keeping the Max torch lit. This week, I don't know, we'll do something interesting. I'd like to start shifting the class away from being patch-along focused and moving towards making more music and doing more performance. So we'll see.

As always, I recommend downloading Max before you come, since the NB wifi can get a bit overtaxed otherwise.

-S

----- BEGIN WTF IS A MAX SPIEL -----

Max/MSP is a visual programming language for music and multimedia. The visual part means that instead of representing logic using text and grammar, Max uses blocks and connections. The multimedia part means that Max is especially well suited for working with audio, video and data streams, making it perfect for reactive installations, algorithmic art and all kinds of other stuff.

This class will assume absolutely no experience with Max whatsoever, except for all the previous classes. You can find example patches from the previous classes (as well as more information) at https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Noise~_Wednesday.

We'll start with getting Max downloaded and installed, and from there I'll move straight to building basic patchers with Max. We can talk about generating simple algorithmic music, sampling recorded sound, working with live video, and whatever else people might be interested in.

If you plan on attending then it would be great if you could write me just to let me know you're coming. Include, if you would, your name, a little bit about yourself and why you're interested in Max. And if there's something you'd like to see covered, let me know about that as well. Or, if you already know about Max and you'd like to participate in leading the class, that would be great as well. I could certainly use the help.

----- END SPIEL OH SO THAT'S A MAX -----

Looking forward,
-S