[Noisebridge-discuss] Panic! Noisebridge will close down in July UNLESS YOU READ ALL OF THIS EMAIL (Part 1 of many)

Snail snailtsunami at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 16:50:32 UTC 2013

I've read that volunteer --expenses-- not reimbursed by the non-profit
may be deductible (expenses incurred directly because of volunteering,
which I imagine means stuff like gas/transit fare, travel, uniforms,
out-of-pocket costs [stuff you buy to facilitate the volunteer work])
but the actually --hours-- don't amount to anything, even if it's
something you would normally charge people money to do (like web
design, coding, grant writing, etc.).

The limits seem fairly strict that whatever you deduct has no personal
side benefits, as in, you couldn't deduct your monthly MUNI pass just
because you ride a bus down to the shelter because you use the pass
for personal travel, but -maybe- you could deduct renting a van if it
was strictly used for a supplies run for the shelter.

So maybe you CAN'T deduct your personal laptop just because you use it
for class presentations, but you might be able to deduct supplies you
give out in class which are strictly for that class.

I'm also not a tax expert so don't take my word for it. ;) But it
could be worthwhile to keep track of your expenses & receipts so they
can be itemized later -- and then give the extra money in your tax
return to Noisebridge. :D

--
-Snailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnails