[Noisebridge-discuss] "member" culture, not policy

John Withers jwithers at reddagger.org
Sat Mar 23 16:59:51 UTC 2013

On 03/23/2013 12:33 PM, Mitchel McAllister wrote:
> 2. Closing the space to non-members will not work because it will also get Noisebridge in trouble. This time with the IRS and California state government. An organization that is founded solely for the benefit of members - once again, for members*only*  - is not a charitable organization and does not receive tax-exempt status. As a matter of fact, a **mutual benefit organization** is taxed, and members have their benefits from said organization taxed as well. Even non-monetary benefits have to be assigned a cost/value and taxed accordingly. I have said this several times, and been ignored. Let me spell this out for you: This **fact** is not going to change just because you don't want to believe it.
Mik!

Do me a favor, go and set up your laptop and start your "hacking" in the
offices of the EFF. Just for a couple of days. When they decide to
remove you because you aren't helping with their mission, you can
explain to them that they can't have offices just for their employees
and people they decide by their limited choice process to help. Might I
suggest Danny's office there? I have been thinking for quite a while
that someone needs to teach those ignorant bastards how 501c3's work.