[Noisebridge-discuss] High-Voltage

jim jim at well.com
Sun Mar 10 18:37:19 UTC 2013

    I'm interested and willing to help.

    What do you mean by "High voltage"? I'm thinking
anything over 240 VAC (about 360V peak to peak).
    Vacuum tubes work with anything from about 60VDC to
500VDC (or so).
    440VAC circuits have of close to 700V. Mircrowave
ovens I've seen have transformers that present internal
voltages to something like 800V. Cathode ray tubes use
from 1500VDC to 5000VDC.

    And what about current draw--microamps, milliamps,
or amps?

    The space is supplied by two electrical services:
240VAC single phase, which comes from the distribution
panel at the top of the stairs, and three-phase delta,
which comes from the distribution panel near the
elevator. The three conductors go from the primary
distribution panel to the sub-panels in the dirty shop
and in the cooking area.

    I think your approach (depending on the actual
voltage you want to work with) should be to determine
a place in the space to work.
    I'm guessing
1. set up a workstation somewhere in the electronic area
2. bring whatever electrical conductors provide your line
   voltage (most pipes carry a black, red, and white
   conductor--using the red and black provides a nominal
   208VAC. Use black and white if you're installing a
   120VAC receptacle.
3. install however many five or ten amp circuit breakers
   to control the current of the black or black and red
   conductors.
4. run 12 gauge THHN wires to the workstation and install
   whatever is the proper receptacle for 120 or 240VAC.
5. install a switch to shut off power and LABEL IT.
6. set up a transformer that steps up the voltage to what
   you need and LABEL IT.
7. From the transformer secondary run proper wires (with
   insulation that is rated for the higher voltage and
   conductors rated to carry maximum current) to whatever
   connection devices you need.