[Noisebridge-discuss] Looking for best home wifi router and open source firmware

Nick Owens mischief at offblast.org
Mon Mar 11 21:23:43 UTC 2013

my personal endeavor in using a BSD home router was initially an old
compaq deskpro with an old 10/100 card in the ISA to PCI riser it had.
i think it had a 6gb disk. the next machine was a cheap amd cpu,
memory, and mobo combination i found on dealnews.com for about $100
and a case+psu for about $25. i put in disks i already had and used
the machine as a nas, webserver, http cache, vpn endpoint, not to
mention firewall.

you can just use a switch instead of buying an expensive 2 or 4 port nic.

as for hardware, you can look at new (or used) soekris or ALIX
machines, but they're a little old. you could try a small x86 form
factor like some of the boards here http://www.mini-itx.com/

OpenBSD doesn't like many wifi cards. i just bought a separate
wireless bridge and had less headaches that way