[Noisebridge-discuss] Flyer for benefit

jim jim at well.com
Tue Mar 12 20:29:26 UTC 2013

    I'd like to get corrected; I suspect my understanding
may be wrong (I've worked in publishing on the magazine
end of things).
    "Press kit" (to me) can mean a lot of things. Mainly
I think it is a package sent to various personages in the
media. It includes a press release. A press release is
supposed to present information on a particular aspect of
some entity such as a new product or service. Good press
releases are a few short paragraphs with a headline and a
date, all to benefit the copy-and-paste work of too-busy
journalists, as well as complete contact info for the
entity sending the press release.
    I've seen enough stuff to form a rule: the simple
packages usually correlate to good products and elaborate
packages to puff-ware.

    It may be that "press kit" means something different
from a promotional info pack for a particular thing,
perhaps a set of background info on the enterprise and
product line descriptions and full contact info.

    Corrections and flames welcome.