[Noisebridge-discuss] To the @#$er that broke into my member shelf...

Garrett Mace garrettmace at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 20:39:04 UTC 2013

On Mar 21, 2013, at 1:27 PM, Chris Murphy <chrisnoisebridge at gmail.com> wrote:

> To clarify, my sentence about B players was joke. I was accepting responsibility for the downward spiral. The rest of my e-mail was serious. Let's focus on what societal issues are afflicting the space and then attempt to fix society rather than becoming increasingly elitist.
>
> If I wanted my own private hackerspace where all the tools are in perfect working order, I would just stay at home. Noisebridge is about the people. We need to keep the doors open even if it means the Grinches among us take every last lightbulb. I know they're there and this has been happening at least since Occupy.
>
> Locking the doors won't make us happier, more interesting, or even immune to the very problems we see today. These are society problems hitting us hard. I don't think we would have them in some other parts of the world. For example, I read in a travel guide that if you steal in Denmark, you are sent to the doctor not to prison because you must be mentally ill.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

"Fixing society" sounds like a good fifty-year project.

Social agendas aside, Occupy's modus operandi is living on a sidewalk. How closely should Noisebridge emulate that environment? How much should Noisebridge sacrifice for Occupy ideals, and how much do Noisebridge's original goals align with that cause?

Mitch spends a lot of time teaching people how to solder.