[Noisebridge-discuss] Twenty-three theses (was: Re: To the @#$er that broke into my member shelf...)

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 00:25:44 UTC 2013

When commenting on the likelihood of things being stolen it may be useful
to note that we are now in the middle of a global financial recession.
Maybe you've heard about it? It has been ongoing since 2008 and has
continuing ripple effects across many communities, especially ones that
were already marginal.  This has affected many people and changed the way
valuables may be perceived or treated. Relevant to our particular location,
SF is a destination for many marginalized people who are seeking social
services (such as healthcare), because they exist in some places and not
others.

Additionally, the income disparity between young technology workers and the
society within which they exist is increasing dramatically, affecting the
social dynamics anyplace 'young technology workers' congregate.

I think nthmost is right on in describing our most easily addressed problem
currently as a scaling issue.

TL;DR perhaps there are 'more homeless people than before' on a slightly
larger scale than within our priveleged, myopic clubhouse.

R.